Monday, June 30, 2008

My first experience eating crayfish, and other tales from London

On Saturday, Sally, Ayumi, Wesam, and I went to Portobello Road in Notting Hill for their amazing market. There were food stalls, antiques, new goods, anything and everything imaginable, including magnificent crepe stands. We tried one with sugar and lemon, and it was delicious. After being there most of the day, Sall and I headed to Covent Garden and walked around there and then decided to walk the trek to Victoria Station to pick up Laura Beth because it was such a beautiful day. We greeted the birthday girl (Laura Beth turned 21 that day!) at the station and promptly pinned on a huge button proclaiming that she was 21 so all in London would know. (Note: Sally did not want me to buy this button. I'm still very glad I did.) LB was coming from Spain were she has been studying, and had been traveling for over 20 hours, so we skipped out on sightseeing and went back to the flat. We met up with our roommates for dinner at Nando's to celebrate both Aviva and LB's birthdays, and then went out around Covent Garden and Picadilly Circus. With LB's huge birthday button and Aviva's birthday girl sash, we were quite the scene.

Yesterday, we met Donna B (Laura Beth's mom) at the hotel they are staying at this week- she had just flown in from Arkansas! We hung around the Strand and their hotel for the afternoon, and then got afternoon tea at an amazing tea shop in Notting Hill. They had a fifteen page menu specifically for the tea! We all chose exotic varieties like passionfruit mango orange tree, or something like that, and then had scones and cakes, too. Tea is a long process, and by the time we made it back to the hotel, Donna B went up to go to sleep and the three of us found a sports bar nearby to watch the Euro Cup (this is soccer, for those of you that are unaware like I was until last night). Spain won, so all were happy- at least most of the people around us were!

Today was the first day of the festival! Things went very well, and the performers were great. We had a great crowd, too. So 1 performance down, 24 more to go! Tonight we are having a opening celebration dinner, as Mark and Nisa call it, with all of the people involved with Diorama or the other sponsors.

And as for my crayfish experience...I got salad from Pret today for lunch. It said it was crayfish and avocado on greens, but for some reason I thought crayfish was what British people call shrimp. I was wrong. Shrimp are actually called prawns. Anyways, the little guys don't taste too awfully bad, but for some reason I can't bring myself to eat them. I have some sort of mental block that probably stems from calling the things crawdads and tying a piece of raw bacon to a string trying to catch them in the drainage ditch at Mamaw's house when we were younger. Luckily, I got a cup of miso soup with my salad, but Ayumi just informed me that it is soup with seaweed and tofu, and I just don't know if I can handle that, either. I'm trying to be adventurous, but tomorrow I am just going back to my apple and tuna sandwich.

No comments: