Saturday, July 19, 2008

Scots, Thieves, and a Trip to the Ocean

The plaza where we hold the festival everyday is surrounded by several skyscraper office buildings owned by British Land/Broadgate Estates, the sponsors of the festival. They have security 24/7 and to get anywhere you need ID access. Friday at work, I needed to get down into the underground control room to check out a key to the room where we keep the sound system for the festival, so I made friends with a security guard with an ID to get me onto the service elevator. As I was saying thanks and waving bye, he stopped me and the following exchange occurred:

Me: Thanks so much for your help, see you later!
Him: No problem, you're welcome. You are from Scotland, yeah?
Me: Uh, no. I am from the United States, actually.
Him: America?? Are you sure??
Me: Positive, actually. I'm from Texas!
Him: Texas, and not Scotland? Really?
Me: Yes sir! See you later!

The poor guy was so confused. Never thought I would be mistaken for Scottish over here!

Today Sall and I, along with Kayla, Aviva, and Kyla took the train to Brighton for the day. It was a lovely sea side town. We had lunch on the waterfront, walked to the pier, wandered around all of the shopping district and had just sat down with our afternoon tea when Aviva realize her wallet had been stolen. Since it was a nice day, the streets were packed with people, and she didn't even notice it was missing until she went to buy her tea. That kind of put a damper on the afternoon, and we left a little earlier than we thought we would, but still enjoyed what time we did spend there. It reminded me of summer trips to Galveston with the Gundersheimers or Corpus Christi with our family!

We are less than two weeks away from heading home, but still have so much to do before we leave- it is going to be a busy two weeks. See y'all soon!

1 comment:

Kyla said...

for me, the highlight of the trip was the double gin and tonic i had for lunch. it made certain...aspects... more tolerable.