Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Thursday, June 11th, 2009

Today my boss was in Maryland for a meeting so I spent pretty much the whole day reading up on the accession and cataloguing processes for the National Park Service and then got to look at all kinds of stuff in the curatorial building. Today our first group arrived to use the rest of the Cabin Camp*, and from what we can gather it might be a family reunion? Of hippies? We aren’t really sure but they’ve been nice and quiet so far, but I’m going home with my roommate for the weekend and we’re going to DC on Saturday so we probably won’t see much of these people! Tonight I went hiking on a little (it is actually 18 miles in total but I didn’t go that far!) trail that leads right off of our area and it was beautiful, I’m going to go out and take some pictures to post soon!

*So the park has five “Cabin Camps” which house up to 250 people each, I think. Four of the five are on the national registry of historic sites because the CCC built them in the 1930’s and they remain true to their original form, even in renovations for the most part (they are VERY rustic—the guy interns live in one). My Cabin Camp is the only one not on the registry because of how much work they have done to all the buildings here. Each Cabin Camp has a mess hall, kitchen, community bathrooms, craft house, and then buildings for sleeping, so groups can rent the camps out during the summer, normally over the weekends. Our cabin however is not included in the rental and has three bedrooms, a bathroom, and kitchen, so we don’t have to share anything! Except for the coke machine that is outside the mess hall that has been tempting me.

No comments: